- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- students from All countries except for Germany: uni-assiststudents from Germany: directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in American studies or from another course of study that feeds into American studies teaching and research.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: With grade C.
Application & Admission
Login or Sign-up (for free) to:
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
Application Procedure & Selection
For the application via uni-assist: € 75 for the first application, € 30 for each additional
Please submit the following materials for the first step of the entrance exam:
- A statement of purpose of approximately 750 words: Please write an essay in which you discuss your reasons for applying to this program, your main areas of interest in the program, and how you hope to benefit from and contribute to the program.
- Resume (Curriculum Vitae/tabellarischer Lebenslauf): The resume should be in English, max. two pages. Do not include your date of birth or a photograph.
- Copy of bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the form of an initial university degree, including a Transcript of Records (i.e., an official document that shows all the courses you took and the grades you received). Also permissible is evidence that you will have completed your BA degree by the start of the MA program. Your BA has to be in American Studies or in a similar field that overlaps with American Studies. The sufficiency of your knowledge of US history, literature, and culture will be evaluated in the course of the entrance exam.
- Copy of your High School Diploma (Abiturzeugnis), including a transcript, or equivalent.
- Documentation of any professional experience, vocational training, internships, or other forms of training.
- Evidence of English skills (see language requirements). Documentation of at least ten years of English instruction, and/or any of the standard language certificates. Applicant's language skills will be finally evaluated in the course of the entrance exam.
Please submit your documents electronically using the MA Entrance Exam Portal at leipzig.americanstudies.de. The portal will guide you through the process. You can sign up for a user account and start building your entrance exam packet now, and you may keep modifying it until May 2nd, 23:59 CEST.
Please note: What you submit for the ASL entrance exam does not replace the regular application to the university; the latter constitutes a process separate from the exam at American Studies Leipzig! However, for the official application for your MA program, you need to prove that you have passed the ASL entrance exam (evidence of which you can still submit later). Hence, if you want to apply to the MA in American Studies, please make sure that you both apply centrally at Leipzig University and enter the entrance exam at ASL.
For more information please check theCourse Website