- Both semesters
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in biochemistry or a similar biochemical study program in natural sciences.
Required ECTS credits: 180.
At least 36 credit points (ECTS) of 180 have to be achieved in basic or advanced biochemical courses, laboratory training, or the bachelor thesis. Subject areas which can be credited are modules in biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics, protein engineering, environmental biochemistry, bioenergetics, or metabolism.
Please note: modules or courses in areas like cell biology, microbiology, medical (bio)chemistry, organic/inorganic/physical chemistry, physiology, genetics, bionanotechnology, (bio)pharmaceutic chemistry, or bioinformatics do not count as biochemical subject areas.
If you have not completed your bachelor's degree by the time of application for the master's program, you can still apply if at least 80% of the total credit points, which can be achieved in the bachelor's study program have to be obtained successfully. Please submit a transcript of records that indicates a preliminary grade, which is then used for the application procedure. In the case of admission to the master's study program, admission is subject to the condition that the last examination in your bachelor's study program has been completed by September 30th when applying for the Winter term, and by March 31th when applying for the Summer term. The successful completion of open examinations has to be provided to the office of examinations at the latest 6 weeks after the beginning of the master's study term. If these certificates are not provided at all or not provided in time, confirmation for admission will be invalidated.
The final grade is at least "good" (i.e. 2,5) or better. Please note: grades of applicants with a non-German degree will be transferred to the German grading scale by uni-assist.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
Applicants with a non-German bachelor’s degree have to register via uni-assist e.V. and follow the application procedure in uni-assist, which is edit application data (online in uni-assist), answer general questions (online in uni-assist), and allocate files:
- Certificate of proficiency in English (see language requirements).
- Study certificate.
- University entrance certificate/school certificate (or equivalent degree of qualification for access to German universities).
- Copy of passport.
- Study description (the form is provided on the uni-assist portal on the first page). This form is obligatory, if you do not submit it, your application is considered incomplete.
Send legalized/notarized hard copies of certificates in English or German by post to uni-assist:
- You don't have to send any documents as hard copies to the University of Cologne.
- Applications will only be processed and considered if they are complete and arrive by the end of the deadlines (15th of July for the Winter term starting on October, 15th of January for the Summer term starting on April). It is recommended to submit your application as early as possible, the application portal will be opened around 8 weeks before the deadline.
- Application has to be verified by uni-assist for formal accuracy, thus please ship legalized hard copies of all your school and study certificates to uni-assist before the deadline.
For more information please check theCourse Website