© Christian Wolf, www.c-w-design.de Type of licence: CC BY-SA 3.0 de
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

British Studies

M.A. (Master of Arts)
Subjects: Global & European Studies
No. of places
English only
Winter semester: 30 Apr
Application Deadlines
2 Years (starting: Winter semester)
Tuition Fees (per semester)
Winter semester
Mode of admission:
local admission restriction
directly at the University
Study mode:
On campus


Qualification Requirements

Previous Degree

Bachelor's degree (or equivalent). Open to all degrees.

For more information regarding the admission requirements and the application checklist, please click here.

GPA Comment

Applicants should have a good first university degree.

Language Requirements

The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.

min C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Specification: Any grade.
min 7
min 250
min 100
min 600
min C1 Advanced (CAE)
Specification: With Grade A or B.
Does the university recognize "other equivalent language certificates"? no information provided by university

Additional information:
Neither a degree in English language nor English language teaching experience will be considered as adequate proof. Only native speakers are exempt from this requirement. Furthermore, working knowledge of German is highly advisable.

Application & Admission

Application Deadlines

Application Procedure & Selection

Mode of Admission:
local admission restriction
Admission Test/Interview:
No. of places available:
directly at the University
Application Fee:

Application Documents

Your application must also include the following documents in the order in which they are listed below.

  1. A detailed CV (in English).
  2. A statement of motivation explaining why you would like to join this course; some 500 words are usually sufficient (in English).
  3. A certified copy of your secondary school leaving certificate which qualifies for university studies (e.g. A-Levels certificate, Abiturzeugnis, Baccalaureat, High School Diploma) including a breakdown of subjects and grades – together with a certified English translation, unless the original is in English, German, or French.
  4. A certified copy of your university degree certificate, including your final overall grade as well as a breakdown of subjects and grades – together with a certified English translation, unless the original is in English, German, or French. If you have yet to receive this, we will require written confirmation of your expected final grade from your university. If neither the provision of a final, overall grade nor the prediction of such a grade is possible, we need written confirmation from your university of this fact.
  5. An APS original, if you earned your university degree from a university in China, Mongolia or Vietnam.
  6. A certified copy of grade transcripts of your university studies – together with a certified English translation, unless the original is in English, German, or French (as above).
  7. Proof of your proficiency in the English language through ETS TOEFL, IELTS, CPE or CAE scores in original or in certified copy (in the case of IELTS and TOEFL a simple copy will suffice), to be sent directly to the Centre for British Studies, Mohrenstr. 60, 10117 Berlin (not the general postal address of Humboldt University); this does not apply to native speakers.

Important: If you are presently in your final year at university and have not yet received your degree document you can nevertheless apply, provided you will have completed your present course before October. Please attach a confirmation of your university and a list of the subjects you have studied so far, including exam results, along with your predicted final grade.

Additionally, you may, but need not supply one to three references, e.g. from university teachers or employers. We are aware that such references may be more difficult to obtain in some countries.

Please send your complete application including the language test to:

Catherine Smith
Mohrenstraße 60
10117 Berlin

IMPORTANT: Do not submit irreplaceable original documents, but send us certified copies.

Please note: a simple copy of a certified copy is not itself a certified copy. The certified copy has to include an original official stamp and signature (public authority or notary) on it.

Further Information

For more information please check the

Course Website