Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Chemical Engineering or Biotechnology.
The following knowledge is also required:
- 24 ECPS in Math, as follows:
- 12 ECPS in Analysis: e.g. Functions, Sequences and Series, Taylor Series, Calculus, Error Analysis, Power Series, Integration, Periodic Functions, Fourier Series, Multi-Variable Calculus, Mean Value Theorems, Taylor’s Theorem, Maximum and Minimum Values, Implicit Functions, Newton’s Method, Double-, Line- and Surface Integrals.
- 8 ECPS in Linear Algebra: (e.g. Vectors and Vector Calculus, Vector Spaces, Systems of Linear Equations, Linear Mappings, Linear Regression, Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues, System of Linear Differential Equations.
- 4 ECPS in Differential Equations: (e.g. Initial Value Problems, Boundary Value Problems, Eigenvalue Problems, Numerical Methods for Initial and Boundary Value Problems, Partial Differential.
- 12 ECPS in Chemistry & Physics, as follows:
- 3 ECPS in General and Inorganic Chemistry: e.g. Molecular Orbital Theory, Interactions in Gas-, Liquid and Solid Phase, Chemical Equilibrium, Acid-Base Reactions, pH Calculations, Redox Reactions, Nernst Equation.
- 3 ECPS in Organic Chemistry: e.g. Saturated and Unsaturated Hydrocarbons, Aromatic Compounds, Alcohols and Phenols, Ethers, Aldehydes, Ketones, Carboxylic Acids, Esters, Amines, Amides, Amino Acids, Organic Reactions like Substitutions.
- 3 ECPS in Physical Chemistry: e.g. State Variables and State Equations, Laws of Thermodynamics, Phase Equilibria, Chemical Equilibria, Equilibria at Surfaces and Interfaces, Chemical Kinetics.
- 3 ECPS in Physics: e.g. One- and Multidimensional Kinematics, Dynamics, Gravitation, Work and Energy, Momentum, Rotational Motion, Conservation Laws, Oscillatory Motion.
- 9 ECPS in Thermodynamics, as follows:
- 6 ECPS in Technical Thermodynamics: e.g. Thermal Equilibrium and Temperature, Heat and Work, First Law for Closed and Open Systems, Changes of State, Carnot Process, Entropy, Exergy, Fundamental Equations of Thermodynamics, Thermodynamic Potentials, Caloric State Variables and Equations, Gas-Vapor Mixtures, Cycle Processes, Combustion Processes.
- 3 ECPS in Multi-Phase, Multi-Component Thermodynamics: e.g. Thermodynamics of Mixtures, Chemical Potential, Fugacity, Phase Equilibria, Vapor Pressure, Gibb’s Phase Rule, Virial Equations, van- der-Waals Equation, Mixing Properties, GEModels, Vapor-Liquid Equilibria, Gas-Liquid Equilibria, Solid-Liquid Equilibria, Liquid-Liquid Equilibria.
- 15 ECPS in Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering, as follows:
- 3 ECPS in Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics: e.g. Fluid Properties, Hydrostatics, Theory of Streamline, Conservation Equations, Navier Stokes Equations, Irrotational Flows, Flow around Bodies, Turbulent Flow, Compressible Flow.
- 3 ECPS in Heat and Mass Transfer: e.g. Heat Conduction, Convective Heat Transfer, Non-Steady Heat Conduction, Thermal Radiation, Diffusion, Boundary Layer Theory, Non-Steady Mass Transfer, Heat and Mass Transfer on Single Particles and in Fixed Beds, Mass Transfer and Chemical Reactions.
- 3 ECPS in Thermal Separation Processes: e.g. Distillation, Extractive and Azeotropic Distillation, Water Vapor Distillation, Extraction, Drying, Chromatographic Separation, Membrane Separation, Energy Demand of Separation Processes.
- 3 ECPS in Chemical Reaction Engineering: e.g. Fundamentals of Stoichiometry, Chemical Thermodynamics and Reaction Kinetics, Mole Balance, Isothermal Ideal Reactors, Batch Reactor, Semi- Batch Reactor, Continuously Stirred Tank Reactor, Plug Flow Reactor, Heat Balance, Non-Isothermal Ideal Reactors, Stability Behaviour of Wall-Cooled CSTR’s.
- 3 ECPS in Process and Plant Engineering: e.g. Structure and Operation of Production Plants, Technical Process Design, Motivation and Targets of Process Development, Life Cycle of Production Plants, Mass and Energy Balances, Graphical Representation of Processes, Multidimensional Regression, Process Synthesis, Process Safety, Cost Estimation.
- 6 ECPS in Fundamentals of Bioprocess Engineering, as follows:
- 3 ECPS in Fundamentals of Bioprocess Engineering: e.g. Enzyme Kinetics, Stoichiometry, Microbial Growth Kinetics, Kinetics of Substrate Consumption and Product Formation, Rheology, Transport Processes in Bioreactors, Technology of Sterilization, Bioprocess Management.
- 3 ECPS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: e.g. Amino Acids, Peptides, Proteins, Carbohydrates, Lipids, Protein Functions, Enzymes, Cofactors, Cosubstrates, Vitamines, Metabolism, Procaryotic Cell, Microorganisms.
Must show very good previous academic performance.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. And it is possible to apply for one international Master's degree course at TUHH only. Please submit the following documents by using the uploading portal as a part of the online application facility. It is only possible to upload PDF files with a maximum of 7 MB per file. Please upload the original documents and also a translation, if necessary. If your original documents are issued in German or English a translation of a sworn translator is not required.
- Curriculum vitae/résumé: TUHH does not require or provide any standard format for the CV. The CV must not consist of more than 2 pages.
- Bachelor's degree certificate: Bachelor's degree certificate or equivalent, including your aggregate mark or grade average. If your final degree certificate is not yet available, you need to submit an official provisional degree certificate or an official letter of your registrar, dean or academic supervisor, listing the remaining subjects and, if possible, the prospective grades as well as the prospective final grade average.
- Complete university transcript of record: complete university transcript of record (semester mark sheets), listing your subjects and grades. If your final year transcripts are not yet available, you need to submit an official provisional transcript or an official letter of your registrar, dean or academic supervisor, listing the remaining subjects and, if possible, the prospective grades as well as the prospective final grade average.
- An official explanation of the university grading system: an official explanation of your university grading system issued by your registrar, dean, or academic supervisor, indicating at least the maximum passing grade, the minimum passing grade and the minimum passing grade for graduation.
- Proof of English (see language requirements).
This is a complete list of application documents. Any other documents (GRE e. g.) will neither be read nor considered. And please do not submit any documents by post mail.
For more information please check theCourse Website