Comparative Studies in English and American Language, Literature and Culture
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or an equivalent). You should preferably have studied English or American Studies as a major subject, or at least have qualifications in subjects related to the program.
English majors must have taken 180 ECTS CP (European Credit Transfer System), English minors must have taken at least 54 ECTS CP. English language practice, English and/or American literary studies and/or linguistics must have comprised at least ¼ of your studies.
You must have written at least one substantial academic research paper (10-15 pages) in English on English/American literature or linguistics.
A final grade of 2.5 (German standard) or better.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
You will be asked to fill in your personal information and to upload the following documents as pdf files:
- Notarized copy of your Bachelor's diploma indicating the final grade.
- Academic writing sample (research paper/essay/BA thesis) on English or American literature and/or linguistics.
- Certified copy of your Transcript of Records, translated to English if necessary.
- Motivation statement, indicating your intended study focus on either literary or cultural studies or linguistics.
- Curriculum Vitae and photograph.
- When you write your grade in the application form, please give the exact grade or score (in numbers). Specifications like "excellent" or "good" are only accepted if your university uses this grading system exclusively. To avoid any errors, please include the grading system off your certificate.
- Documents in languages other than English or German have to be translated and certified.
- Since the assessment is online-only, you don't need to send the university any hard copies of your documents.
For more information please check theCourse Website