- Winter semester
- directly at the University (incl. VPD from uni-assist)
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a mathematical-scientific degree program.
Minimum standard period of study: 6 semesters.
Required ECTS credits: 180.
The following achievements must have been made:
- A minimum of 21 credit hours from mathematics and/or computer science.
- Knowledge of a higher programming language evidenced by a performance record (e.g. certificate or bachelor thesis).
- A minimum of 12 credit hours from one of the following subject areas:
- Computational Astro- and Space Physics: theoretical physics, classical mechanics, electromagnetism (or equivalent).
- Computational Biology: Biology.
- Earth System Sciences: earth sciences, meteorology, or physics.
- Theoretical Chemistry: Inorganic Chemistry, Quantum Chemistry, or
- Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics: Quantum Physics and Statistical Physics.
If the underlying study program has not yet been completed at the time of application, an application is possible if at least 80 percent of the credit points to be acquired or the achievements recognized as equivalent have already been proven and all examinations will have been taken by September 30 of the same year. In this case, a result calculated and certified by the examination office of the bachelor's degree program on the basis of the examinations taken up to that point shall take the place of the degree . In this case, the further admission requirements must be fulfilled within the framework of the previous performancе.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
Application Procedure & Selection
€ 75 for the first application, € 30 for each additional
When applying for a master’s degree, the VPD indicates whether you meet the formal requirements for a master’s degree at the University of Cologne. After your documents have been checked by uni-assist and you have received the result (VPD), create an online application in the University of Cologne Klips 2.0 application portal. An application at the University of Cologne is only possible with a valid VPD. The application for preliminary review documentation (VPD) at uni-assist alone does not count as an application for a degree program at the University of Cologne.
During stage 2 (application via the application portal of the University of Cologne Klips 2.0) you will have to hand in the following application documents:
- Letter of application in which you state your personal motivation for wanting to undertake this degree program (in English).
- Curriculum vitae in English.
- B. Sc. (or equivalent) certificate (certified English translation if the original language is not English or German)*.
- Transcript of records showing the awarded credits*.
- Proof of proficiency in English (see language requirements).
- Optional: Proof of other qualifications (e. g. professional practice, internships, stays abroad).
* The proof has to be an attested copy.
Please note: Candidates from this group have to register to uni-assist by June 30th in order to apply to the desired master program in timе.
For more information please check theCourse Website