Contemporary East Asian Studies
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in social sciences or economics (e.g. sociology, politics, international relations, economics, business administration, anthropology, human geography). Students with degrees from other fields can apply but have to provide evidence in their application that they have a good knowledge of theories and methods in one of the above-mentioned disciplines.
Applicants not completely fulfilling the above-mentioned degree requirements may be conditionally admitted, but have to make up the deficits by taking additional classes for up to 30 ECTS credits.
German and European BA students studying at German higher education institutions in their final year can apply without the BA certificate. They should include a list of their grades in their application, along with a statement explaining which classes, etc. they still have to finish before graduating. For European students, the BA certificate will be necessary at the time of enrolment at our university (after being admitted).
Applicants studying their BA degree at non-German universities and non-European applicants irrespective of where they study their bachelor must at least be able to indicate their final CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) at the time of applying. The bachelor's degree certificate will be necessary at the time of enrolment at our university (after being admitted).
An average grade of 2.5 or higher, based on the German grading system.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
The letter of recommendation needs to be issued by a university professor. He or she should send the completed form directly to the university via e-mail.
In addition to the application for admission and the letter of recommendation, the following documents should be submitted, either in English or German. Diplomas, degree certificates, transcript of grades, evidence of language proficiency, etc. need to be scans of the originals or certified copies. If any documents are not already in German or English, you need to submit scans of certified translations.
- Proof of English language proficiency (see language requirements).
- Complete and up-to-date CV showing your professional experience and education and including a color photo.
- Copy of high school diploma (for Germans: Zeugnis der Hochschulreife).
- Copy of BA degree certificate, including a transcript of grades showing an average grade of 2.5 or higher, based on the German grading system, and also including a transcript of any semesters spent abroad (please use the so-called Bavarian Formular to calculate your CGPA in the German grading system).
- Statement of reasons for applying for this program, including your interest in East Asia (1–2 pages).
- APS Certificate (Certificate of the ‘Akademische Prüfstelle’): relevant only for graduates from universities in China, Vietnam, and Mongolia.
Please send all application documents in one single pdf file by e-mail, except for the letter of recommendation, which should be submitted by the writer. In order to merge several documents into one single pdf file, please use free software and programs, which you can easily find online. Please note that the university does not accept any other file type but pdf for security reasons.
the University has other campuses --> Tab "University"
For more information please check theCourse Website