Demography and Social Inequality - Double Master's Degree
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- Study mode:
- On campus
- Registration Fee & Tuition Information:
- The University of Cologne do not charge a tuition fee for the first year. The University of Groningen charges 2143 € for EU/EEA students per year, and 15000 € for non-EU/EEA students per year. Those fees correspond to the period 2020/2021.
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in the field of sociology or social psychology and at least 12 ECTS credits in the field of methods in quantitative social sciences, applied quantitative empirical social research or statistics.
Required ECTS credits: 180.
The final bachelor's grade must be equivalent to at least 2.7 (German grading system).
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: With grades A, B or C.
Specification: With grades A, B, C or level C1.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
Documents required for the Master Application Portal:
- Bachelor's degree certificate: if you have not finished your bachelor studies but have passed at least 80% of the required credits (at least 144 credits in a bachelor degree carrying 180 ECTS credits), you can apply by submitting a confirmation of all credits earned so far, along with a provisional average grade computed and certified by your examination office. Please note that the remaining credits must be earned by September 30th at the latest.
- Transcript of records stamped and signed.
- Transcript of a semester abroad: if examinations passed abroad should be considered for meeting the admission criteria, the courses have to be recognized by your home university as part of your bachelor's program. Courses must be recorded in your transcript of records.
- University entrance qualification eg school leaving certificates/A-level/Abitur.
- An official description of the content of all taken bachelor courses/lectures eg course catalog/module catalog or PDF-file with link to course descriptions on the university's website.
- CV in English.
- Letter of motivation in English, explaining your reasons for applying for the double master's program (approximately 500 words).
- Letters of reference for internships and employment (wherever possible), which you would like to have considered in the assessment of your application.
- Proof of sufficient English language skills (see language requirements).
Students, who did not obtain their bachelor's degree in Germany or at the University of Groningen must additionally apply via uni-assist by handing in the following documents by post after registering online:
- Authenticated (and translated) copy of bachelor's degree certification or attestation of 80% studies (and transcript of records).
- Authenticated (and translated) copy of university entrance qualification (eg A-level/Abitur).
- Authenticated copy of proof of English language proficiency (the language test via uni-assist for students who cannot provide this by the deadline has been suspended; now you do not have to present a certified language certificate to uni-assist. Should uni-assist have evaluated you negatively due to a lack of language skills or the wrong form of the language certificate, your application will automatically be re-evaluated).
- Only for applicants with Chinese (except Hongkong), Mongolian or Vietnamese bachelor's certificates must also submit an original APS certificate (certified copies cannot be accepted).
Documents must be in English or German. Documents in other languages will need to be translated.
For more information please check theCourse Website