- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree in Economics (or in a subject that is similar in terms of content and methodology).
Requirements include a good understanding of the subjects and methods covered in a bachelor’s program in economics, particularly in microeconomics, macroeconomics and empirical economics.
If your grade is between 2.0 and at least 2.5 we will invite you to take a written test of admission. Applicants will get an invitation by email at least two weeks before the date of the test.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
The following documents and information must be uploaded or entered directly in our online application tool during the application period:
- Proof of your studies:
- Certificate of the Bachelor’s degree with a proof of the (final) average grade and explanation of the grading scale. The grading scale must give evidence of the minimum pass-grade required as well as the maximum achievable grade in the subject concerned. Please note that we have to reject applications without proof of average grade and grading scale certified by your examination office.
- Outline of lecture courses and/or transcripts of records of the courses you have attended. If your transcript of records lists all course names, this is sufficient. You do not need to add syllabi.
- If your documents are not in German or English an official translation has to be additionally provided.
- If you have not yet finished your bachelor’s studies at the time of your application, please provide an official transcript of all examination results to date and an overall weighted average grade certified by your university's examination office. In case you fulfill all the requirements you will receive a conditional admission offer depending on your final grade. Please note that at the time of your application you must have completed at least 75 % of the requirements of your bachelor's curriculum (in the case of a 180 ECTS course this would be 135 ECTS points).
- Evidence of sufficient knowledge of English (see language requirements).
- Curriculum vitae: please upload your current CV in the English language.
- Motivation letter: please be prepared to provide a motivation letter in English with a length of 2,000 to 3,000 characters. The letter should describe your goals in pursuing graduate studies and in particular why you would like to complete the master’s program in economics at LMU Munich. The letter has to be inserted in the prepared text field in our online application tool.
- Applications after the deadline are not accepted.
- Documents provided by email/mail or handed in personally will not be taken into account.
- GRE/GMAT are NOT required for the application.
- Letters of reference are NOT considered for application.
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- If your application is rejected, you can apply again in the next application period.
All Applicants from EU and non-EU countries must in addition to their application at the university department, apply at the University’s International Office (Referat für internationale Angelegenheiten) which assesses whether you fulfill the formal requirements for admission to the university itself.
It is recommended to prepare your application to the University's International Office simultaneously with your application for the master's program at the Department of Economics. The application period of the International Office officially begins Mid-May but you can send in your application already at the beginning of May. It ends on July 15th for intake in the winter semester.
For more information please check theCourse Website