- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in economics or an equivalent degree (e.g. Bachelor of Arts or a degree in a related field with a focus on quantitative economics).
A solid background in mathematics (differential and integral calculus, linear algebra) statistical methods (descriptive and inferential statistics) and econometrics.
Final grade "good" (the German grade 2,3) or better.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
Applicants need to upload the following documents:
Please note that the documents need to be uploaded only, it is not needed to send the documents by post.
- Degree certificate: please upload your degree certificate if your degree has already been completed. Please include a certified translation of your degree certificate if documents are not in German or English.
- Academic transcripts: please upload your academic transcript of records, including names of courses and grades. Please include a certified translation of your academic transcripts if the original is not in German or English.
- Curriculum vitae: please upload a current and complete curriculum vitae.
- One letter of recommendation: please ask one academic teacher to provide a confidential letter of recommendation to the BGSE. Your professor may want to address the following questions:
- How do you rate the applicant's performance in comparison to her/his fellow students?
- How do you assess the applicant's depth and breadth of knowledge in the field?
- How do you assess the applicant's potential to perform well in a quantitative and research-oriented master's program?
Once you have completed your online application, your professor will receive an automatically generated e-mail with instructions and an upload link.
- Proof of English proficiency (see language requirements). Please make sure to upload your test scores in the online application. If you additionally want to have ETS send the TOEFL test scores directly to us, please use the following code number: 7156 (University of Bonn, M.Sc. in Economics).
- Bibliography: this is a list (that you put together, there is no form for it) of the most important books and articles that have been used in your study program. This is required to give the university a better idea as to what has been covered in your study program. Please include 10-15 books/articles.
The list should at least include the title, name of the author, and year of publication. If the books you used were written in languages other than German or English, please translate the title or give the title of the English original.
- APS certificate (applicants from China and Vietnam): applicants with degrees from Chinese and Vietnamese universities also need to upload an APS certificate.
- GRE test scores - not mandatory: however they are strongly recommended for applicants who received their degree from universities outside the EU. If you want to submit GRE test scores, please make sure to upload them to your online application. If you additionally want to have ETS send the GRE test scores directly to the university, please use the following code number: 7156 (University of Bonn, M.Sc. in Economics).
For more information please check theCourse Website