English and American studies
- Both semesters
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in English studies/American studies (as core subject: 120 CP; as supplementary subject: 60 CP).
Minimum standard period of study: 6 semesters.
Required ECTS credits: 180.
The overall grade (CGPA) of the bachelor's degree must be 2.5 or better (German and US systems).
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
- Application for admission: If you apply online for a master’s degree, an "Application for admission to a master’s degree at Friedrich Schiller University Jena" will be generated as a pdf at the end of the application. You have to print out this application and sign it within the application period of the respective master’s course and send it as an e-mail to the address of the master service center: [email protected]
- Curriculum vitae: Please write your curriculum vitae in tabular form. Please provide all the details of your school and your previous academic career.
- Motivation letter: Applicants without a bachelor's degree in English/American studies from a German university prove their technical and linguistic aptitude in addition to the language certificate by means of a letter of motivation in English.
- Certificate of university entrance qualification: This is usually the Abitur certificate. If you do not have an Abitur certificate, please upload the school certificate in the application system that entitles you to study at a university.
- Certificate of a first university degree: Proof of the university degree with which you would like to apply for admission to the master’s course is important. Please upload both the certificate and the grading overview. If you cannot provide proof of a degree at the time of your application, please upload the required, detailed, current transcript of records in the application portal.
- Detailed overview of grades: To check your professional suitability, you need a detailed overview of your grades for your first professional university degree, on the basis of which you apply for admission to the master’s degree. The grade overview should contain an average grade authorized by the university. If this is not the case, please have your university provide you with additional proof of the preliminary average grade.
- Proof of relevant professional activity: If you already have professional experience relevant to the subject, you can also submit appropriate evidence to strengthen your application.
- Proof of technically relevant practical experience: If you already have practical experience relevant to the subject (e.g. through study-related internships), you can also submit corresponding evidence of this to strengthen your application.
- Proof of English language skills: see language requirements.
Additional application documents for international students:
- Translation of foreign application documents: Any application document that was not originally written in German or English must also be submitted in German or English translation. This translation must be done by authorized/sworn translators/translation agencies.
- Proof of grading system: For foreign degrees, please also submit evidence of the grading system used by the university in question.
- APS certificate: Applicants with university degrees from Mongolia, Vietnam, or the PR China must submit an APS certificate (original).
- University entrance examination: Applicants from the following countries must provide evidence of their respective university entrance examination:
- Iran (university entrance examination or proof of a pre-university year),
- Republic of Korea/South Korea (Scholastic Ability Test).
- China (GaoKao).
For more information please check theCourse Website