Geography of Environmental Risks and Human Security
- Start Dates
- Winter Semester: October
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in the fields of Geography, Environmental Science, as well as related disciplines such as Disaster & Risk Management or Development Sciences.
Out of all higher education qualifications earned (bachelor’s, master’s, additional academic coursework, etc.), applicants must have accumulated at least 100 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) within courses related to the three following areas:
- Human Geography and Social Sciences with a focus on spatial patterns, society, and development;
- Science methodology and empirical research methods;
- Physical Geography, Geosciences and Environmental Sciences with a focus on Earth System Science.
Note: The program is not targeted at graduates in Engineering-related subjects.
A minimum of 2 years of related professional experience is additionally required only for candidates from developing countries who additionally wish to apply for a scholarship under the Development-Related Postgraduate Courses (EPOS) scheme by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)..
A minimum grade of 2.5 or the local equivalent.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: At least B2.
Application & Admission
Login or Sign-up (for free) to:
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
Application Procedure & Selection
The following documents need to be submitted via email as one PDF package in the exact order stated below, not exceeding 8MB in size, and in this exact order. The sample of your academic work must be attached as a separate file, if necessary in a separate email. Incomplete documents, late, as well as paper applications sent via post will not be considered.
Note: All documents need to be submitted as scans in PDF format. Smartphone pictures in PDF format will not be accepted. To combine, arrange and compress your PDF application package, kindly use freely available software.
- Online application confirmation: will be sent via email after completing the online application; must have the signature and date as explained, attached to the application as scan.
- Motivation letter: A written statement illustrating the individual suitability for the Joint Master’s programme in a specific and convincing manner. Should refer to own academic and professional qualification, display knowledge of the curriculum, indicate specific scientific interests & future career aspirations, and outline how the applicant expects to benefit from the programme in this regard. Applicants currently registered in another postgraduate degree should explain why they wish to change programs. With min. 1 – max. 2 pages, must be dated.
For EPOS applicants: must explain preferences if applying for more than one EPOS-funded program.
- Recent CV in EUROPASS format: in reverse chronological order, dates must correspond to the attached references precisely. Max. 3 pages, must be dated.
- Academic degree certificate(s): Bachelor’s or equivalent & Master’s if available. If you are going to finish your Bachelor’s studies only after the application deadline, you
can apply with your current transcripts, and then hand in your final transcripts and Bachelor’s certificate as soon as you receive them. As a general requirement, you will need
to have finished your current program before the start of the Master’s program. In German or English, otherwise, add a certified translation.
For EPOS applicants: must be stamped and/or signed by the issuing university on the original document.
- Transcript(s) of records: Bachelor’s or equivalent & Master’s if available. If you are going to finish your Bachelor’s studies only after the application deadline, read the previous requirement. Must include a current, identifiable total average grade, an overview of the applicable grading system (except for applicants from the German education system), and other academic credits such as exchange semesters, summer schools, etc.
For EPOS applicants: must be stamped by the issuing university on the original document or sent directly from Registrar’s Office to [email protected]
- English language proficiency: see language requirements.
- Academic reference(s) (recommended): is optional: at maximum two references by former university lecturers. Must be in German or English, otherwise, add a certified translation. Must be recent, dated, stamped, signed & must contain a letterhead.
- Copy of passport: page displaying your name and personal information.
- Other relevant references (optional): e.g. internships, previous employments, trainings, volunteering; at maximum three references. As stated in the online application, do not include school certificates.
- Only for applicants from China, India, or Vietnam: scan of your APS Certificate.
For more information please check theCourse Website