International Organisations and Crisis Management
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree or an equivalent first professional qualification that meets the following requirements:
- have acquired at least 90 credit points in the field of Political Science and an overall grade of 1.5 (approx. “very good”) or better.
- have acquired at least 20 credit points from classes focused on international relations or international organizations.
- have acquired at least 15 credit points in qualitative and/or quantitative research methods.
- have completed at least one job-oriented internship in international relations or international organizations or studied one semester abroad.
If you do not sufficiently meet any of these requirements, but your overall grade is at least 2.3 (approx. “good”) and your studies, curriculum vitae and motivation indicate a particular fit for our programme, you may also be admitted upon consideration of the following factors:
- The scope and grades of the courses, which are particularly relevant for the master's program, as well as the final thesis of your first academic qualification.
- Your international experiences as they relate to the program.
- Your practical experiences and additional qualifications, which may be relevant to the program.
- Your individual areas of interest and reflections on the content and requirements of the master program, as indicated in your letter of motivation and your curriculum vitae, which inform the university about your background, knowledge, and skills as well as your personal goals and your capacity to study successfully.
The acquisition of credit points in qualitative and/or quantitative research methods can be made up as early as possible and at the latest by the 4th semester.
If, at the time of application, evidence of a professional qualification cannot yet be provided, it is possible to first document the given level of performance (at least 140 credit points) by means of a current transcript of records.
An overall grade of 1.5 or better. Candidates who do not sufficiently meet the requirements set out in the previous degree but have an overall grade of at least 2.3 may be admitted if their studies, curriculum vitae and motivation show that they are particularly suitable (see previous degree).
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
Login or Sign-up (for free) to:
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
Application Procedure & Selection
Your application has to include the following documents:
- Registration form: Once you finish an online application via the application portal OLAS, this document will be generated under the filename "Application for admission at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena to the masters programme". You need to print out this document, sign it, scan it and send it as PDF file of good quality within the application timeframe to the Master Service Centre: [email protected].
- Supplementary document IOCM: Please fill the document diligently and include it among the uploads of your online application. It is a crucial part of your application and without it, your application will not be considered.
- CV: Your CV should have a tabular form, containing key information on your school record and academic career.
- Motivation lette: A motivation letter should not exceed the size of two DIN A4-pages and normally, it should contain information on your motivation for taking up this course of studies. You should elaborate on the following essential questions:
- Why do you desire to take up this specific course of study?
- What are - in your opinion - the main features that this course of studies excels in?
- Which features of this course have inspired your application?
- Why Jena?
- University entrance qualification certificate: Please upload at the online application system your university entrance certificate/school leaving certificate. Usually, this means the school graduation diploma (German "Abitur"), i.e. the diploma that makes you eligible for studies at an University or other institution for higher education. Be mindful of the fact that here, we do not need any University diploma but a High School diploma.
- Previous university degrees earned: All previous University degrees (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, etc.) if available before the application deadline - if not, please make a note of the anticipated date of issue of your degree certificate. Please upload your University degree or the most actual, detailed transcript of records/ mark sheet of all semesters available to you, should you not hold your degree certificate at the time of application. The main document is the degree/ transcript based on which you apply for the master programme.
- Detailed transcript of records: Detailed transcript of records/ mark sheet of your first, subject-specific university degree, with which you are applying for the Master's programme (minimum requirement is the transcript/mark sheet up to the semester before the last). This transcript MUST contain an overall cumulative grade point average or average mark. You need at least 140 credits (ECTS) by the time you apply.
- Proof of relevant work experience: Should you have obtained subject-specific work experience, you can upload corresponding certificates in order to support your application.
- Proof of subject-specific practical experience: Should you have obtained subject-specific practical experience (e.g. by internships etc.), you can upload corresponding certificates in order to support your application.
- Proof of language proficiency: see language requirements.
Additional application documents for international students:
- Translation of foreign/external application documents: Every mandatory application document from foreign/external countries must also be available in either English OR German translation. Such a translation has to be conducted by officially acknowledged/sworn translators or translation offices.
- Proof of grading system: External/foreign degree certificates/transcripts of records must contain information on the grading system used at the respective university.
- Certificate APS: Applicants with degrees from Mongolia, Vietnam, or China must submit the original APS-certificate issued by the German Embassy.
- University entrance exam: Applicants from the following countries must submit a certificate of their university entrance examination/college entrance examination:
- Iran (College entrance examination certificate or certificate of pre-university course/year).
- Republic of Korea/South Korea: SAT (Scholastic Ability Test).
- People's Republic of China: College entrance examination certificate ("Gaokao").
For more information please check theCourse Website