- Start Dates
- Winter Semester: October
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in microbiology, biochemistry, marine biology, oceanography, chemistry, molecular biology, geology, biogeochemistry, bioinformatics, or related fields.
Since knowledge in basic microbiology and biochemistry is a prerequisite for successful completion of the program, students lacking training in these fields are urged to use the time between application and arrival in Bremen to gain knowledge in these fields by looking at courses available on the internet.
Applications will be considered even if the degree is not conferred until the summer/fall of the year of application.
Exceptionally qualified students can begin research for their Ph. D. thesis immediately, provided they have an M.Sc. or a Diplom/Staatsexamen.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: At least C.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
Application Procedure & Selection
The MarMic Online APPLICATION and all required documents must be submitted electronically. Please fill in in English.
Your online application must include the following documents:
- Your CV (Curriculum Vitae).
- Your letter of motivation (1-2 pages): Please explain your reasons for wanting to enter the program and study marine microbiology. Refer to personal, professional, or educational experiences or situations that have contributed to your desire to participate in this program. Describe your specific interests and academic goals.
- All official (up-to-date) academic transcripts in English or German from all colleges/universities attended
Especially for the translation as well as certification/notarization of transcripts and degrees.
- Final academic diplomas: certificate of your high school diploma and of all further academic diplomas, if already applicable (in English or German).
- Two reference letters: letters of two referees who are able to evaluate your personality, academic experience, and intellectual merit. They should not be older than 6 months
(preferably as scanned letter on an official letter head and with manual signature, emailed to [email protected] or surface-mailed to the MarMic coordination office confidentially).
- A proof of proficiency in English: applicants whose native language is not English are asked to submit a proof of proficiency in English (see language requirements). Please note: The submission is preferred until February 28th each year, but also acceptable after the deadline. If you did not reach the required scores in the English proficiency test so far, please do not hesitate to apply.
If no English test is available, proven higher education including all exams in English may also be accepted.
- A photograph: portrait of the size of a passport photograph.
The above mentioned forms are required for the restricted admission to MarMic.
Additionally you have to apply for admission with all required documents at the University of Bremen.
For more information please check theCourse Website