Jacobs University Bremen
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in microbiology, biochemistry, marine biology, oceanography, chemistry, molecular biology, geology, biogeochemistry, bioinformatics, or related fields.
Since knowledge in basic microbiology and biochemistry is a prerequisite for successful completion of the program, students lacking training in these fields are urged to use the time between application and arrival in Bremen to gain knowledge in these fields by looking at courses available on the internet.
Applications will be considered even if the degree is not conferred until the summer/fall of the year of application.
Exceptionally qualified students can begin research for their Ph. D. thesis immediately, provided they have an M.Sc. or a Diplom/Staatsexamen.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: At least C.
Specification: Listening/Reading: 945; Speaking:180; Reading: 180.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
The Online MarMic application form and all required documents (see checklist below) must be submitted electronically. Please fill in in English.
Additionally, a paper version of all required documents in duplicate (two copies) is also needed. Send the completed application by air mail or surface mail to the MarMic coordination office.
MarMic Coordination Office/Admissions Committee
Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology
Your application must include the following documents:
- A CV (curriculum vitae).
- A letter of motivation (1-2 pages). Please explain your reasons for wanting to enter the program and study marine microbiology. Refer to any personal, professional, or educational experiences or situations that have contributed to your desire to participate in this program. Describe your specific interests and academic goals.
- Official academic transcripts in English or German from all colleges/universities attended (one notarized copy and one regular copy of each document), especially for the certification/notarization of degrees from Non-European Community Member States.
- Academic diplomas: certificate of your high school diploma and of further academic diplomas, if applicable (in English or German; one certified copy and one regular copy of each document).
- Two photographs: portrait of the size of a passport photograph (please indicate your name on the back).
- Two reference letters: letters of two referees who are able to evaluate your personality, academic experience, and intellectual merit (preferably mailed to the MarMic coordination office confidentially; they should not be older than 6 months).
- Proof of proficiency in English (see language requirements). Submission preferred until February 28th each year, but also acceptable after the deadline.
The above-mentioned forms are required for the restricted admission to MarMic. Additionally, you have to apply for admission with all required documents at the University of Bremen.
For more information please check theCourse Website