Master of Science (MSQ)
- Winter semester
- directly at University
- Study mode:
- On campus
An undergraduate specialization in economics or business administration is not required. As the first-year courses in the GSEFM programs assume familiarity for example with multivariable calculus, statistics through simple regression, and matrix algebra, adequate mathematical preparation is very important. The minimum previous degree prerequisite is a bachelor's degree (to be completed at the time of the beginning of program studies), in a degree program with thorough coverage of quantitative methods. Candidates who have not completed a bachelor's degree in a degree program with thorough coverage of quantitative methods must have completed (at the time of the beginning of their program studies) a master's degree in a degree program with thorough coverage of quantitative methods. While there is no minimum grade point average, given the quality of applications regularly received by the GSEFM, the admissions committee's standard should be expected to be well above a "B" grade point average.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
In evaluating the application dossiers, the admissions committee inter alia gives consideration to the following factors:
- Essay: beyond previous education emphasizing quantitative methods, a strong interest in the substantive issues covered in the GSEFM program for which an application is submitted to as well as the ability to communicate clearly are essential for successful studies. This should be documented by a short essay answering the following questions:
- Question #1 (answer not to exceed 2,000 words): describe how in your academic work to date you have demonstrated expertise in making use of mathematical/statistical methods and/or other areas of logical reasoning. Make sure to include a short description of the methods you have used, and briefly explain why you chose to use those methods rather than alternative methods.
- Question #2 (answer not to exceed 2,000 words): choosing an area of research within the Ph.D. program [MSQ: within the track of the MSQ program] at GSEFM that you are applying for, outline the contents of a term paper that is supposed to (i) address a question that - within this area of research - is topical, (ii) review what conclusions can be reached on the basis of the current state of the literature, and (iii) make proposals how the literature may need to be extended so as to reach a sound conclusion.
- Fields of previous studies, previous degree, and grade point average (see previous degree field).
- Two letters of evaluation: two confidential letters of evaluation, at least one of them by an active university lecturer, that give evidence of the candidate’s aptitude for the chosen program are required. These letters shall be submitted either in sealed envelopes or by e-mail directly by the evaluator. Evaluations consist of the evaluation form and a free written statement by the evaluator.
- GRE or GMAT: All applicants are expected to take the quantitative section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants to the programs in Finance or Marketing can substitute the GRE quantitative score for the GMAT quantitative score. While both tests also contain verbal and analytical writing sections, the admissions committee does not require these to be taken. A quantitative score in the upper 20th percentile is the minimum score providing evidence in favor of reasonably strong quantitative skills for the Ph.D. programs, while a quantitative score in the upper 25th percentile is sufficient for the MSQ programs. Test scores that are older than four years on the deadline for the stage in which the complete application is submitted (January 31, March 31, or May 31, respectively) cannot be accepted.
- Language competency (see language requirements).
For more information please check theCourse Website