- Winter semester
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent), containing knowledge in Microbiology of at least 15 credits (ECTS) and practical research methods.
Minimum standard period of study: 6 semesters.
Required ECTS credits: 180.
The bachelor's final grade (CGPA) must be GOOD or higher (German and US systems 2.5).
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
Application Procedure & Selection
Together with the application, the candidate must submit the following documentation and proof:
- Registration form: Applications for Master’s programs at Friedrich Schiller University Jena are only possible via the university's application portal called Friedolin 2.0. Applications are free of charge. (see more info about the Master's application process)
- CV: Your CV should have a tabular form, containing key information on your school record and academic career.
- Motivation letter: A motivation letter should not exceed the size of two DIN A4-pages and normally, it should contain information on your motivation for taking up this course of studies. You should elaborate on the following essential questions:
- Why do you desire taking up this specific course of studies?
- What are - in your opinion - the main features that this course of studies excels in?
- Which features of this course have inspired your application?
- Why Jena?
- University entrance qualification certificate: Please upload at the online application system your university entrance certificate/school leaving certificate. Usually, this means the school graduation diploma (German "Abitur"), i.e. the diploma that makes you eligible for studies at an University or other institution for higher education. Be mindful of the fact that here, we do not need any University diploma but a High School diploma.
- Previous university degrees earned: All previous University degrees (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, etc.) if available before the application deadline - if not, please make a note of the anticipated date of issue of your degree certificate. Please upload your University degree or the most actual, detailed transcript of records/ mark sheet of all semesters available to you, should you not hold your degree certificate at the time of application. The main document is the degree/ transcript based on which you apply for the master program.
- Detailed transcript of records: Detailed transcript of records/ mark sheet of your first, subject-specific University degree, with which you apply for the master's programme. This transcript MUST contain an overall cumulative grade point average or average mark.
- Proof of relevant work experience: Should you have obtained subject-specific work experience, you can upload corresponding certificates in order to support your application.
- Proof of subject-specific practical experience: Should you have obtained subject-specific practical experience (e.g. by internships etc.), you can upload corresponding certificates in order to support your application.
- Specific document: Preparatory Training for Master's Applicants: Specific document: Preparatory Training for Master's Applicants. This certificate you obtain after having passed the preparatory training for master's applicants. This test is to be passed before applying. It serves to orientate candidates towards their academic eligibility and its results have no influence on the admission decision. The test is only available during the official application phase from 1 April to 31 May.
Additional application documents for international students:
- Translation of foreign/external application documents: Every mandatory application document from foreign/external countries must also be available in either English OR German translation. Such a translation has to be conducted by officially acknowledged/sworn translators or translation offices.
- Proof of grading system: External/foreign degree certificates/transcripts of records must contain information on the grading system used at the respective university.
- Certificate APS: Applicants with degrees from Mongolia, Vietnam, or China must submit the original APS-certificate issued by the German Embassy.
- University entrance exam: Applicants from the following countries must submit a certificate of their university entrance examination/college entrance examination:
- Iran (College entrance examination certificate or certificate of pre-university course/year).
- Republic of Korea/South Korea: SAT (Scholastic Ability Test).
- People's Republic of China: College entrance examination certificate ("Gaokao").
For more information please check theCourse Website