© Christian Wolf, www.c-w-design.de / CC BY-SA 3.0 de
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Mind and Brain

M.A. (Master of Arts)/M.Sc. (Master of Science)
Subjects: Biology, Psychology, Cognitive Science, Neurosciences, Linguistics, Philosophy
M.A. /M.Sc.
No. of places
English only
Winter semester: 31 May
Application Deadlines
2 Years (starting: Winter semester)
Tuition Fees (per semester)
Start Dates
Winter Semester: October 1st
Winter semester
Mode of admission:
local admission restriction
Study mode:
On campus


Qualification Requirements

Previous Degree

Bachelor's degree in psychology, philosophy, neuroscience, linguistics, biology, cognitive science, or a related subject is required.

At least 60 ECTS (or 30 equivalent credits in the British/American/Australian credit system) on courses that can clearly be defined as one of the aforementioned subjects.

A related subject is a subject that includes assignments in the fields of philosophy, psychology, linguistics, neuroscience, biology or cognitive science, with at least 60 ECTS (or 30 equivalent credits in the British/American/Australian credit system). These assignments must be clearly defined as relating to the aforementioned subjects in the transcript.

If you have not yet fully completed your studies, you must have a transcript showing that no more than 30 ECTS points are missing before completion of studies is possible. If your university doesn't use ECTS points, the university has to issue an informal but official statement confirming when the applicant is expected to complete his/her studies.

Language Requirements

The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.

CEFR English
min B2
min 5.5
min 1095
Specification: 310 in Speaking and writing and 785 in Listening and reading.
min B2 First (FCE)
min C1 Business Higher (BEC Higher)
Specification: V
min C1 Advanced (CAE)
min C2 Proficiency (CPE)
min C1 Business Higher (BEC Higher)
Specification: H
min 60
DAAD Language Certificate
min 4 stars in all skills
DAAD Language Certificate
min C in all skills
min II
Specification: Min. of 3,0
min III
min IV
LCCI Certificates
min Level 3
PTE Academic
min 51
Does the university recognize "other equivalent language certificates"? yes

Additional information:
Applicants need to provide English language proficiency by an International Certificate in Financial English (ICFE), an International Legal English Certificate (ILEC), or a language certificate from recognized German institutions of higher education for level B2 (with at least 4 contact hours per week) and minimum grade 2.3. The following are not required to submit proof: native speakers, applicants with a school-leaving qualification from an English-language secondary school, applicants who have completed assignments totaling at least 20 ECTS credits in an English-language university program (this fact - English-language program - must be made clear in the transcript, otherwise an informal but official letter from the university is required, in which it is stated that the relevant subjects were taught in English), applicants who attained a minimum of 5 points (German grade 4) in English courses in each of the last four terms of the German Abitur, applicants who can demonstrate they completed their entire university education, or a large part thereof, in English (this fact must be made clear in the transcript; otherwise an informal but official letter from the university is required, in which it is stated that the relevant subjects were taught in English). Proof of proficiency in German is not required.

Application & Admission

Application Deadlines

Applications are open from:
Winter semester:May 02 (German)May 02 (EU)May 02 (Non EU)
In 3 days free webinar
How to apply via uni-assist

Application Procedure & Selection

Mode of Admission:
local admission restriction
Admission Test/Interview:
No. of places available:
Application Fee:

€ 75 for the first application, € 30 for each additional

Application Documents

Foreign applicants (i.e., foreign citizens having qualifications gained outside German schools or German universities) must submit the documents listed under (1)–(9) as hard copies to Uni-Assist (see address below). For the "Mind and Brain" program applicants do not need to upload PDFs of these documents.

Please note: Do not send the forms and documents to the Berlin School of Mind and Brain.

  1. Application form, to be filled in online, printed out and signed. The application form can be downloaded only at the end of the online application procedure with Uni-Assist
  2. Certified copies of all certificates and corresponding transcripts of records:
    secondary school-leaving certificate,
    university entrance examination documentation (if applicable),
    evidence of study areas and grades obtained in previous studies,
    graduation certificate.
    If certified copies are requested by the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin or Uni-Assist, on no account may simple Xerox copies be provided - in this case the application will not be processed.
    Please note: If the original certificates were not drawn up in German or English, applicants must provide:
    certified copies of officially certified translations into English or German of applicants’ certificates,
    certified copies of the certificates in the original language.
    If the language of instruction in your program was neither English nor German the transcript in the original language is required - even if your university provides you with an additional English-language transcript.
  3. Enrollment certificate (if at the time of application you are a student at a German or European higher education institution), or proof of withdrawal from the register specifying the areas of study (if you have studied at a German or European higher education institution).
  4. Proof of proficiency in German: Applicants do not have to provide proof of proficiency in German.
  5. Proof of proficiency in English (see language requirements).
  6. Complete CV in table form with signature.
  7. A current passport-sized photo.
  8. A simple Xerox copy of your passport.
  9. Payment receipt of the Uni-Assist fee.

Foreign applicants and German applicants with foreign university degrees should send their applications to:

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
11507 Berlin

Please note: All documents must have been submitted in their entirety by the end of the application period. The postmark date will not be considered valid.


Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Further Information

For more information please check the

Course Website