- Both semesters
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- directly at University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in physics or other science with at least 50% physics-relevant components.
Successful applicants possess knowledge and competences in theoretical and experimental physics as well as in methods of linear algebra and calculus. They have practical experiences in solving multi-faceted problems in physics in a specified period including finding and understanding the relevant scientific literature, project planning, as well as documentation and presentation of the results. In addition, they possess knowledge in experimental techniques as well as computational skills and are used to work in a team.
In particular, successful applicants possess:
- Understanding of the experimental foundations and their mathematical descriptions in the area of classical mechanics, of thermodynamics and of transport phenomena of charges, currents, fields, and waves.
- Knowledge in atomic, molecular and quantum physics, and in particular in condensed matter, nuclear and particle physics.
- Knowledge and understanding of the foundations, methods and concepts of theoretical physics in the area of Newtonian and analytical mechanics of point masses, of rigid bodies and continua, as well as thermodynamics, elementary statistics, classical field theory, vector fields, Maxwellian equations, special relativity, and quantum mechanics.
- The ability to apply their knowledge in the aforementioned areas to physics problems independently.
The final grade should be 2.9 or better on the German scale.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
The application for admission must include the following documents:
- The completed printed version of the online application form.
- Officially certified photocopies or typescripts of certificates obtained from the university and other tertiary education (i.e. colleges, academies, etc) including:
- The relevant transcripts of individual grades per semester or academic year (transcript of records), especially those of the fifth semester if the final grade has not yet been awarded, and
- The diploma supplement; in addition, if the documents are not in German or English an officially certified translation into German is required.
- A curriculum vitae.
- An officially certified photocopy or typescript of the school leaving certificate that entitles the student to enter university in their country of origin (e.g. abitur, baccalauréat, GCE, A & O level, matriculation certificate, etc.) including the relevant list of individual grades. In addition, an officially certified translation in German is required (except for documents in English).
- Proof of sufficient means of finance for the duration of the master course.
- Copy of the passport (page with the name given in Latin script).
Country specific requirements:
- Applicants with prerequisites from Mongolia must add to their application a confirmation of the authenticity of their educational prerequisites from the German Embassy in Ulan Bator, in the original or as an officially certified photocopy.
- Applicants with prerequisites from the People's Republic of China must attach to their application an original confirmation of the authenticity of their educational prerequisites from the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) of the German Embassy in Beijing.
- Applicants with prerequisites from Vietnam must attach to their application an original confirmation of the authenticity of their educational prerequisites from the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) of the German Embassy in Hanoi.
For more information please check theCourse Website