- Both semesters
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Physics or a closely related subject.
Solid knowledge in all of the following fields (documented by successful participation in courses with the corresponding content):
- Quantum Mechanics/Atomic Physics.
- Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics.
Basic knowledge in at least one of the following fields (documented by successful participation in courses with the corresponding content):
- Nuclear Physics/Elementary Particle Physics.
- Solid State Physics.
Solid knowledge of the mathematical methods which are used in Physics (documented by successful participation in courses with the corresponding content). These are in particular:
- Vector Calculus.
- Complex Calculus.
- Differential Equations.
- Linear Algebra.
Applications will also be processed if the Bachelor program is not yet completed, but successful completion is very probable before the requested start date.
Practical experience in scientific work (documented by a Bachelor's thesis, comparable thesis or comparable work).
The final grade has to be 3.0 or better if the German university grading system is used. If other grading systems are used the equivalence of the grades will be determined.
Ability to carry out physical experiments (documented by successful participation in physical or technical lab courses).
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
Login or Sign-up (for free) to:
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
- Completed application form.
- Bachelor diploma and transcript or suitable documents which demonstrate that a Bachelor's program will be completed before the requested start date in the Master's program (while the selection of candidates can be based on suitable documents, certified copies of the final school certificate and the Bachelor diploma are required for final admission to the university by the student's office).
- Statement of purpose (approx. 1 page): Why do you want to be accepted to a Master's program in Physics? Why do you want to study at the University of Düsseldorf?.
- For non-native speakers: proof of sufficient knowledge in English (see language requirements).
- Letters of recommendation from university professors.
- GRE test results.
- Other documents revealing the qualification of the applicant for the master's program in physics (e.g. own publications).
International applicants have to submit at least one of the recommended documents in addition to all of the required documents.
Please send your application to:
Prof. Dr. Axel Görlitz
Institut für Experimentalphysik
Gebäude 25.42 Raum 01.24
For more information please check theCourse Website