Social and Economic Data Science
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- directly at University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree in economics, mathematics/statistics, political science, computer science, sociology, or psychology.
You are welcome to apply in your final year of your bachelor's program. Please submit your current academic transcript as PDF (with an officially certified translation into English or German, if applicable).
You will need to provide evidence of knowledge from at least two focus areas, acquired in at least three courses during your bachelor’s degree, as listed below:
- Focus area: computer science.
- Data visualization (Dept. of Computer and Information Science), principles of computer science in combination with a programming course (Dept. of Computer and Information Science).
- Focus area: mathematics.
- Discrete mathematics and logic (Dept. of Computer and Information Science), analysis and linear algebra (Dept. of Computer and Information Science), mathematics for data science (Dept. of Computer and Information Science), mathematics for economists (Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics), linear algebra I (Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics).
- Focus area: statistics.
- Statistics I (Dept. of Economics), statistics I (Dept. of Psychology), statistics (Dept. of Politics and Public Administration), statistics I (Dept. of History and Sociology).
- Focus area: social-scientific methods.
- Econometrics I (Dept. of Economics), introduction to survey methodology (Dept. of Politics and Public Administration), research design I: research design and causal inference (Dept. of Politics and Public Administration), empirical research methods (Dept. of Politics and Public Administration), empiricism: quantitative methods (Dept. of History and Sociology), methods I & II (Dept. of Psychology).
An above-average bachelor's degree, at least corresponding to the German grade 2,5 (good).
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: At least C.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
To submit your online application you are required to upload the following supporting documents as PDF-files:
- Scanned PDF academic transcript outlining your grades obtained from at least three courses from at least two focus areas proving knowledge in foundations of data analysis. Please specifically mark these modules. You may add official course descriptions. If the original document is not in English or German, provide an officially certified translation.
- Degree certificate(s) (scanned PDF of originals and officially certified translations into English or German only).
- Scanned test sheet proving English proficiency (see language requirements).
- Full CV in English.
- A one-page statement of purpose in English.
- Two letters of recommendation from two lecturers at your institution, on letter-head paper and signed, emailed separately as PDF-files by the referees in English or German, e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If applicable, scanned PDF of the original GRE score sheet (although not mandatory, results of the GRE test are desirable if you did not complete your undergraduate degree in Germany).
- Applicants from China and Vietnam: APS certificate (original) issued by the German Embassy of your home country.
Important: successful MSc SEDS applicants will be required to submit all documents in original or as officially certified copies upon registration at the University of Konstanz.
For more information please check theCourse Website