- Summer semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
- Registration Fee & Tuition Information:
- The tuition fees are as follows: 1st semester in Freiburg (no tuition fee for EU-applicants; 1500 € for non-EU applicants), 2nd semester can be in Cape Town (1250-1350 €) or Buenos Aires (950 €), 3rd semester can be in New Delhi (1200 €) or Bangkok (800 €), and the 4th semester in Freiburg.
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in the subjects of politics, sociology, social, cultural and historical anthropology, and cultural geography.
Minimum standard period of study: 3 years.
Degrees in the areas of international political economy, comparative management sciences, social psychology, modern history, and social philosophy are also considered relevant, provided that the necessary breadth of substantive and methodological access to the social sciences has been demonstrated.
Above-average success (at least grade 2.5).
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
To apply for the Global Studies program, you need to submit the following documents through the online application system:
- Curriculum vitae (CV): summary of your past experiences, academic and non-academic. Next to your studies, your international experience, internships, and volunteer work are important and will be considered by the selection committee. If some of your past internships, projects, activities, etc. have a specific connection to GSP components, they can be highlighted in your motivation letter, and/or you can submit additional certificates thereof. Please only include additional certificates if they are specifically relevant to the Global Studies program and its components.
- Motivation letter: essay (max. 1200 words). It should address some of the following questions:
- Why do you want to participate in a Social Sciences program with a global orientation?
- How do you relate to one or more disciplines that are part of GSP?
- How do your experiences (work, study, volunteering, stays abroad, etc) relate to GSP and its curriculum?
- What makes you want to study in an interdisciplinary and international program?
- What academic questions do you want to pursue in relation to GSP?
- Which issues/problems/questions incite an academic passion in you?
- What achievement or experience do you think makes you particularly suitable for GSP?
- Why would GSP enrich your academic career?
- What goals do you have that GSP can help you achieve?
Your letter should end with the following statement: "I hereby confirm that this letter of motivation has been composed by me and is my own work unless stated otherwise."
- Certified bachelor's diploma & transcript of records (with translation if applicable).
- Proof of English language proficiency equivalent to/higher than B2 (see language requirements).
- Further certificates relevant to the program.
- APS certificate (only necessary for applications from China, Vietnam, and Mongolia).
In addition, you need to submit:
- Two letters of recommendation: please use the recommendation letter form only (pdf-file) provided on the university website.
For more information please check theCourse Website