- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in American Studies or a related subject.
Applicants who do not have a degree in American Studies must demonstrate the following prior knowledge:
- At least 4 successfully completed courses on the literature, culture and/or history of the United States. If the final certificate does not reveal any courses specific to the USA, applicants should enclose the relevant course descriptions (syllabus), and
- Good knowledge of the most important methodological approaches in literary and cultural studies. In this case, too, applicants are advised to enclose course descriptions to demonstrate that they have dealt with these methods in their studies.
The examination board decides on the recognition and comparability of the degrees.
Provisional admission is possible subject to the reservation if at least 80% of the CP required for the bachelor's degree has been achieved and the bachelor's thesis has already been completed or is about to be completed. The bachelor's degree must be proven within the next 6 months at the latest.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
- If you are not already enrolled at Goethe University: a copy of your university entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur).
- Bachelor certificate with the transcript of records (for foreign certificates: please also provide a certified copy in English or German).
- If applicable, course descriptions (syllabus) of at least four successfully completed courses on the literature, culture and/or history of the USA, provided that the degree certificate does not reveal any USA-specific courses.
- If the Bachelor's certificate is not yet available:
- Transcript of Records or a comparable document listing the content of the course and an average grade.
- Expert opinion or recommendation of the person supervising the bachelor thesis
- Proof of enrollment in the bachelor's program that has not yet been completed.
- Proof of level C1 English knowledge (see language requirements).
- Exam claim statement.
- If you did not acquire your first undergraduate degree at a German university:
- For applicants from the countries of Vietnam and the People's Republic of China: APS certificate (original only).
For more information please check theCourse Website