Cognitive Systems: Language, Learning and Reasoning
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a subject essential for the Cognitive Systems degree program, such as computational linguistics, information science, linguistics, or mathematics.
Required ECTS credits: 180.
Evidence of knowledge that corresponds at least to the content of one of the three bridge modules FM1 (foundations of mathematics), FM2 (foundations of computer science), or FM3 (foundations of linguistics). This evidence is typically provided through successful participation in at least 9 credit points of coursework.
Proof of programming knowledge. This evidence is typically provided through successful participation in at least 6 CP of coursework.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: At least B.
Specification: At least 6.5 in each field.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
- Completed and signed admissions application. The admission application is the document that is compiled as a result of your online application on uni-assist.
- Simple copy (i.e. uncertified) of the German- or English-language graduation certificate from your first degree (e.g. Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Diplom, Magister).
If your graduation or preliminary certificate is in a language other than German or English, then you must submit a German or English translation certified by a sworn translator, along with a simple copy of this document.
If documentation of your first professional qualification is not yet available by the admission application deadline, you can still apply for admission. You must have (with a transcript of records, uncertified will suffice):
- At least 140 CP in a bachelor's degree with a total requirement of 180 CP.
- At least 170 CP in a bachelor's degree with a total requirement of 210 CP.
- At least 200 CP in a bachelor's degree with a total requirement of 240 CP.
- Diploma Supplement: a simple copy (i.e. uncertified) of the diploma supplement or other relevant documentation from your university regarding all coursework completed for your first professional degree. You may also submit the module manual or the study and examination regulations of your degree program to evidence your qualification. If this coursework was completed at an institution of higher education other than the University of Potsdam, then this proof must include information regarding the credit points, form, content, and the examination modalities.
- If applicable, a placement notification for the first semester.
- English language skills (see language requirements).
- Proof of programming skills (see previous degree field).
- Proof of knowledge that corresponds at least to the content of one of the three bridge modules FM1, FM2, or FM3 (see previous degree field).
- A letter of motivation (a maximum of 5.000 characters).
- Evidence of study or research stays abroad, or evidence of a professional internship or professional experience relevant to the content of the Cognitive Systems degree program, or semester projects and final theses that must still be completed, if applicable.
- Evidence of the successful completion of coursework in subjects related directly to the planned master's degree program (at least 9 CP), if applicable.
- Evidence of achievements or excellence related to the degree program that permit expectations of high performance, if applicable.
- Current or last certificate of university enrollment, or a copy of an exmatriculation certificate from a German institution of higher education, if you were enrolled in a program after acquiring the degree on which your application for the master's program is based.
- Documentation of citizenship (e.g., a copy of your passport).
- A written application for immediate admission in the context of the hardship quota (hardship application) and documentation required to substantiate such an application, if applicable.
- Documentation of an earlier offer of admission or proof of period service, if applicable.
- Documentation of qualification for the Brandenburg quota (Profilquote), if applicable.
- A written application to upgrade your waiting period, as well as documentation required to substantiate such an application, if applicable.
- A written application to improve your average grade, as well as documentation required to substantiate such an application, if applicable.
- Documentation regarding ongoing or completed asylum proceedings, if applicable.
For more information please check theCourse Website