- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- local admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in statistics or informatics or related disciplines. Excellent knowledge of computer science and statistics. Applicants need to provide evidence of knowledge in the following fields:
- Statistical science and data-based modeling: this includes, in particular, statistics and topics such as data mining, probability theory, and machine learning (at least 30 ECTS or equivalent). (Average grade n° 2).
- Computer science and computational methods: this includes, in particular, data structures and algorithms, database systems, programming principles and practice, software engineering (at least 30 ECTS or equivalent). (Average grade n° 3).
Required ECTS credits: 180.
The overall average grade must be better than 1.5. The overall average grade is composed of:
- Average grade 1: the average grade from the best performance (equivalent to 150 ECTS).
- Average grade 2, and
- Average grade 3.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
Login or Sign-up (for free) to:
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
Application Procedure & Selection
The following documents must be submitted by all applicants via the portal:
- Transcript of records.
- Bachelor certificate (if not yet available, it needs to be provided no later than September 30th).
- Essay "Data science" (in which you look at the developments and perspectives of data science as well as your planned area of specialization, and your previous experience; max. 1,000 words).
- Proof of proficiency in English (see language requirements).
When you start your online application you will see the details on the information and the type of documents required.
You may also submit other documents that may be relevant for the application (e.g. certificate of enrolment or course certificates/credits from earlier study programs, vocational certificates from the IT sector).
Documents which are not in German or English must be provided as a certified translation.
Please note: the university only accepts online applications. Please do not send any documents by email.
Applicants who do not hold German citizenship and have obtained their certificates and degrees from non-German institutions have to apply simultaneously to the LMU International Office.
For more information please check theCourse Website