- Start Dates
- Winter Semester: October
- Summer Semester: April
- Both semesters
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- students from all countries except for Germany: uni-assist | students from Germany: directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in (General) Linguistics can be credited if the course content of said degree program shows sufficient overlap with Leipzig University's Bachelor's Linguistics (especially with regard to the core areas of phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics). A degree in a bachelor's program that only has content from applied linguistics (e.g., foreign language mediation, communication research) is considered to be unrelated to the subject.
If you have a bachelor's degree that is unrelated to your field of study, you must demonstrate the extent to which you have acquired linguistics knowledge through independent study, summer schools, additional linguistics classes/modules, or other means that will enable you to successfully complete the master's program. You can partially acquire missing knowledge by attending bachelor modules, but in this case, you may sometimes encounter scheduling conflicts, since only the modules of one program are taught without overlap at a time; additionally, most bachelor courses are taught in German.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
For the application via uni-assist: € 75 for the first application, € 30 for each additional
Please submit the following documents (and no other documents) to the Institute of Linguistics:
- Statement of purpose with an explanation of why you would like to pursue this course of study at Leipzig.
- The filled-out form with information about your background knowledge: German version, English version.
- Copy of the bachelor's certificate.
- Overview of completed modules/module exams (Transcript of Records, Diploma Supplement).
- Language certificates (see language requirements).
Please merge all relevant documents in a single pdf document, using the file name <surname>-<first name>.pdf.
Please send the pdf document via email to the university's institute (using the subject line "Bewerbung M. A. Linguistik").
For more information please check theCourse Website