- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in chemistry, physics, biology, biochemistry/molecular biology, or medicine.
Minimum standard period of study: 6 semesters.
Required ECTS credits: 180.
In principle, graduates of similar degree programs will be admitted, if the degree is comparable to the degrees of the programs named above. Comparability will be checked on an individual basis, especially by taking into account the degree and the time of studies, the applicant's curriculum, and his/her letter of motivation. An admission with additional obligations that have to be fulfilled is possible.
Students of medicine are allowed to sign up for individual modules of the M.Sc. Medical Photonics program during their studies of medicine to gain insight into special domains of Medical Photonics. After having graduated in medicine, students who decide to register for the master's program can have previously completed modules credited.
The bachelor's grade final overall point grade must be GOOD or higher (2,5 German and US systems). Applicants with a lower mark, but fulfilling all other requirements may be admitted by the selection committee if the application documents show extraordinary capabilities for pursuing studies in the field of Medical Photonics. In case of doubt, a selection interview can be required.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
For your application you will need the following documents:
- Registration form: Once you finish an online application, this document will be generated under the filename "Application for admission at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena to the master's program". You need to print out this document, sign it, scan it, and send it as a PDF file of good quality within the application timeframe to the Master Service Centre: [email protected]
- CV: Your CV should have a tabular form, containing key information on your school record and academic career.
- University entrance qualification certificate: Please upload at the online application system your university entrance certificate/school leaving certificate. Usually, this means the school graduation diploma (German "Abitur"), i.e. the diploma that makes you eligible for studies at a university or other institution for higher education. Be mindful of the fact that the university does not need any university diploma but a high school diploma.
- Proof of a first university degree: (e.g. bachelor, diploma, state exam) or transcripts of records, if the study program is still in progress, showing that at least 140 credit points have been earned so far.
- Motivation letter: A typed application letter (max. 500 words) in which the applicant displays motivation and eligibility as well as skills relevant to the master's program (letter of motivation). Should not exceed the size of two DIN A4-pages and normally, it should contain information on your motivation for taking up this course of studies. You should elaborate on the following essential questions:
- Why do you desire to take up this specific course of study?
- What are - in your opinion - the main features that this course of studies excels in?
- Which features of this course have inspired your application?
- Why Jena?
- If available: proofs of scientific achievements (e.g. scientific work, publications, research projects, research, or studies abroad).
- If available: proofs of relevant work positions (e.g. biological technical assistant (BTA), chemical technical assistant (CTA), or medical technical assistant (MTA), job positions in the industry).
- If available: proofs of proficiency in the English language (see language requirements).
Additional application documents for international students:
- Translation of foreign/external application documents: Every mandatory application document from foreign/external countries must also be available in either English OR German translation. Such a translation has to be conducted by officially acknowledged/sworn translators or translation offices.
- Proof of grading system: External/foreign degree certificates/transcripts of records must contain information on the grading system used at the respective university.
- Certificate APS: Applicants with degrees from Mongolia, Vietnam, or China must submit the original APS-certificate issued by the German Embassy.
- University entrance exam: Applicants from the following countries must submit a certificate of their university entrance examination/college entrance examination:
- Iran (College entrance examination certificate or certificate of pre-university course/year).
- Republic of Korea/South Korea: SAT (Scholastic Ability Test).
- People's Republic of China: College entrance examination certificate ("Gaokao").
For more information please check theCourse Website