- Start Dates
- Winter Semester: October
- Winter semester
- Applicants with a non-German degree need a preliminary review documentation (VPD) of their diplomas, certificates, and transcripts of records before submitting the document to the university.
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with a strong focus on biological sciences and practical (hands-on) biological training.
The bachelor's degree must be completed before the enrollment date (Oct. 1st), while the completion of 80% of the bachelor study program must be proven by the application date.
Proof of significant practical (hands-on) training in at least three of the following study areas: Biochemistry, Computational Biology, Plant Science, Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, Genetics, Ecology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Neurobiology, Physiology, and Zoology.
A grade of 2.7 or better according to the German grading system.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: Level of each subcomponent at least 6.0.
Specification: Cambridge English Scale 175.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
Application Procedure & Selection
For the application via uni-assist: € 75 for the first application, € 30 for each additional. Submit your application for the VPD to Uni-Assist no later than June 15th.
- Complete the application form for the specific master's program.
- Prepare a PDF file that compiles copies of diplomas, certificates, and transcripts of record, providing full details of the degree, the grades you have obtained, and the courses/modules you have taken. Module descriptions may be included to prove the biological content and practical training. Please bundle all documents related to the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) into one single PDF file. Please note: at least 80% of the maximum bachelor's (or equivalent) credits must be certified as of the application deadline.
In case you have completed or started an additional study program, e.g. a different master's program, please prepare a second PDF file that compiles all documents that certify the completion and/or study progress as well as the content of this program. Please note that applicants holding a master's degree in Biology that was issued by a German University cannot be admitted.
- Prepare curriculum vitae (CV, in English). The CV should include your address, e-mail, and education (including high school education and all university study programs, whether completed or not). Please include the contact details of two academic referees who are able to comment in detail on your capacity to cope with the academic demand of the program.
If applicable, the CV should include professional experience and other activities, publications, awards, additional qualifications, etc.
- Non-native English speakers need to demonstrate English proficiency, according to European standards (see language requirements for further details).
All applicants submit the application form, CV, PDF files of study certificates, and evidence of English language proficiency at the application portal of the University of Cologne. Applicants with a non-German degree must also submit the preliminary documentation review (VPD) which was obtained from Uni-Assist eV.
For more information please check theCourse Website