Solar Energy Engineering
- Start Dates
- Winter Semester: October
- Summer Semester: April
- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- Online course
- Registration Fee & Tuition Information:
- The tuition fee is 25,000 € for the full track (7 semesters), and 18,000 € for the expert track (5 semesters). Matriculation fees not included (161 € per semester).
Bachelor's degree in a scientific or technical field (e.g. physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, technical informatics). Individuals with a business background (industrial engineer, business informatics, etc) or a broader technical field (environmental sciences, etc) should contact the program coordinator to discuss their options.
Tne program offers two tracks of study:
- The full track of the SEE has a total work load of 120 ECTS. It is suitable for candidates who hold a previous 3-4 year bachelor's degree with a value of 180 - 239 ECTS in STEM subjects and at least one year of professional experience.
- The expert track of the SEE has a workload of 90 ECTS and is the right choice for students who have sound prior knowledge in the solar energy field and hold a master's or a five years bachelor degree in STEM subjects such as physics, electrical engineering, or similar fields with a solid background in the physics of semiconductors.
One year of work experience, ideally in a field related to solar energy, after obtaining your qualifying degree. There is no strict form for this document. For example, it can be:
- A letter of reference stating the time of employment.
- A payroll with blackened/anonymized details.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Specification: Listening: 400; Reading: 385; Speaking: 160; Writing: 150.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
Application Procedure & Selection
Please send the completed application form and all the required documents listed below as PDF files to:
List of documents to provide via email in PDF Format:
- Completed application form (filled out with your keyboard, no handwriting accepted).
- Up-to-date CV in English.
- Proof of English language proficiency (see language requirements).
- Diplomas and degrees (both in English and in the original language).
- Transcript of courses with grades (both in English and in the original language).
- Certificates of professional experience (see work experience).
- Copy of your health insurance certificate. For an online program, it is sufficient if your health insurance covers journeys to Germany. If you intend to stay in Germany permanently it is of course different. If you are above 30 years of age - no insurance is required for the matriculation process. Students from EU / EEA countries and Switzerland, a proof of health insurance (European Health Insurance Card or temporary certificate) is sufficient.
Also, you should send a signed hardcopy version of the application per mail. Please print and sign by hand the completed application form. Get notarized hardcopies of the documents that require it.
List of documents to provide via mail:
- Completed application form (signature on the final page required).
- Notarized hardcopy: Proof of English language proficiency (see language requirements).
- Notarized hardcopy: Diplomas and degrees (both in English and in original language).
- Notarized hardcopy: Transcript of courses with grades (both in English and in original language).
Send all these hardcopy documents by mail to the following postal address:
University of Freiburg, Faculty of Engineering, Solar Energy Engineering,
Remark: Applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia must be prepared to hand in an APS (“Akademische Prüfstelle”) Certificate from the German embassies in Beijing, Hanoi, and Ulan-Bator, respectively.
For more information please check theCourse Website