© Universität Heidelberg – Kommunikation und Marketing / CC BY-SA 3.0
Heidelberg University

Transсultural Studiеs

M.A. (Master of Arts)
Subjects: Cultural Studies, Ethnology
English only
Not specified
Application Deadlines
2 Years (starting: Winter semester)
Free / € 1500
Tuition Fees (per semester)
Winter semester
Mode of admission:
local admission restriction 
directly at the University
Study mode:
On campus


Qualification Requirements

Previous Degree

Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a discipline of the humanities, cultural or social sciences.

Minimum standard period of study: 3 yеars.

GPA Comment

Above-average gradе.

Language Requirements

The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.

CEFR English
min C1
min C1 Advanced (CAE)
min 7
min 100
min 600
min 785
Does the university recognize "other equivalent language certificates"? no information provided by university

Additional information:
English language proficiency can also be proven by a certificate from your university’s language department stating your proficiency level of at least C1 according to CEFR. Furthermore, good knowledge of two more languages (at least level B1 according to the CEFRL), including the respective mother tongue, is mandatory. Language certificates should not be older than four years. A certificate for one's first mother tongue is not required.

Application & Admission

Application Deadlines

Special Deadline Case:
Winter semester: While there is no fixed deadline, it is highly recommended to submit the application online by the middle of June. This is very important for international applicants from non-EU-countries in order to insure a timely enrolment. Generally speaking, please submit your application by mid-September at the latest.

Application Procedure & Selection

Mode of Admission:
local admission restriction 
Admission Test/Interview:
directly at the University
Application Fee:


Application Documents

Applications can only be submitted for the winter term of each year and must contain the following documents:

  1. Certified copy of the BA degree (or equivalent). If the applicant has obtained their B.A. degree in the People’s Republic of China or Vietnam, they need to add an APS certificate from the respective German embassy.
  2. Certified copy of the transcript of records.
  3. Certified copies of language certificates (see language requirements).
  4. Letter of motivation (in English; max. 900 words).
  5. CV (in English; max. two pages).
  6. A formal statement confirming that you wrote the letter of motivation by yourself without the help of others and properly indicated the use of all ideas from additional sources.

Additional documents required from international applicants:

  1. Completely filled in "Application form for Admission in a Master program".
  2. Certified copy of your university entrance qualification.

For international applicants: Please send your application in one posting to:

University of Heidelberg
International Relations Office
Seminarstraße 2
69117 Heidelberg

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure to send your application early enough. Applications arriving after June 15th will be automatically rejected.


No location found

Further Information

For more information please check the

Course Website