- Winter semester
- Mode of admission:
- without admission restriction
- directly at the University
- Study mode:
- On campus
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent).
Applicants are required to hold a dual degree (a joint or dual-honors undergraduate degree which sees students split their time across two different courses) in English and/or American Studies.
Graduates of other BA programs from the fields of language, literature, or culture (at least 60 ECTS in these fields are required) with a focus on English and/or American studies are also invited to apply for places. Note that if you do not hold a dual degree in English and/or American studies you will be asked to submit additional documents.
If you feel in doubt, you are encouraged to apply.
It is possible to apply for and in some cases even start a master’s degree program before completing your undergraduate degree if you have achieved a minimum of 140 ECTS.
For all applicants, the final grade in the qualifying degree must be 2.5 or better. Exceptions for students who achieved a final grade between 2.51 and 3.30 may be made on the basis of an interview.
The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.
Application & Admission
- → request information packages
- → see your personal application deadline & tuition fee
(starting in October)
(starting in April)
Application Procedure & Selection
- Application of admission and Control sheet - in duplicate.
- German language test verification certificate - if required (simple copy).
- School leaving certificate (certified copy).
- Official translation of the School Leaving Certificate (certified copy).
- University Degree Certificate and Diploma Supplement - if already available (certified copy).
- Official translation of the University Degree Certificate and Diploma Supplement (certified copy).
- Applicants who completed their first degree in China, Vietnam or Mongolia are required to submit an APS certificate.
- Complete Academic Report/Transcript of Records (certified copy).
- Official translation of the Complete Academic Report/Transcript of Records (certified copy).
- Curriculum vitae.
- Language certificate (simple copy).
- A writing sample produced by the applicant within the context of their first degree of 5 to 20 pages, written in English (e.g. an academic essay/term paper/research paper or a part of the final thesis). This writing sample must demonstrate the applicant’s expertise in the field of English Studies and/or American Studies. The writing sample has to be submitted only by applicants who do not hold a dual degree in English and/or American Studies.
Please note: Foreign certificates must be handed in as officially certified copies with an officially certified translation. If your documents do not fulfill the requirements or if important certificates are missing, your application will not be processed. Documents do not have to be translated if they are issued in German, English or French.
the University has other campuses --> Tab "University"
For more information please check theCourse Website