FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg

English Studies

M.A. (Master of Arts)
Subjects: English & American Studies, Language and Literary Studies
English only & German language course
Winter semester: 15 Jul
Application Deadlines
2 - 4 Years (starting: Winter semester)
Tuition Fees (per semester)
Winter semester
Mode of admission:
without admission restriction
directly at the University
Study mode:
On campus

Course Description

It can be studied as a part-time program, in which the duration of the program will be 4 years.


Qualification Requirements

Previous Degree

Bachelor's degree (or equivalent).

Applicants are required to:

  • hold a dual degree (a joint or dual-honors undergraduate degree which sees students split their time across two different courses) in English and/or American Studies and another subject, or
  • must be graduates of other BA programs from the fields of Linguistics, Literature, or Culture (with at least 60 ECTS in these fields) with a focus on English Studies: these applicants are required to submit a writing sample.

Graduates of other BA programs from the fields of language, literature, or culture (at least 60 ECTS in these fields are required) with a focus on English and/or American studies are also invited to apply for places. Note that if you do not hold a dual degree in English and/or American studies you will be asked to submit additional documents.

If you feel in doubt, you are encouraged to apply.

It is possible to apply for and in some cases even start a master’s degree program before completing your undergraduate degree if you have achieved a minimum of 140 ECTS.

GPA Rate 2.50
GPA Comment

For all applicants, the final grade in the qualifying degree must be 2.5 or better. Exceptions for students who achieved a final grade between 2.51 and 3.30 may be made on the basis of an interview.

Language Requirements

The following certificates are recognised as proof of your language proficience.

CEFR English
min C1
min C1 Advanced (CAE)
min 7
min 230
min 95
min 570
LCCI Certificates
min Level 3 grades “Merit” and “Distinction” + Level 4 grade “Pass”
Telc English B2-C1 University
min C1
min III
min 945
CEFR German
min A1
Does the university recognize "other equivalent language certificates"? yes

Additional information:
All students whose native language is not German will be required to submit proof of their knowledge of German on the level A1 CEFR or equivalent (i.e. very basic) by the end of their first year of study (not on admission).

Application & Admission

Application Deadlines

Application Procedure & Selection

Mode of Admission:
without admission restriction
Admission Test/Interview:
directly at the University
Application Fee:

Application Documents

  1. Application of admission and Control sheet - in duplicate.
  2. German language test verification certificate - if required (simple copy).
  3. School leaving certificate (certified copy).
  4. Official translation of the School Leaving Certificate (certified copy).
  5. University Degree Certificate and Diploma Supplement - if already available (certified copy).
  6. Official translation of the University Degree Certificate and Diploma Supplement (certified copy).
  7. Applicants who completed their first degree in China, Vietnam or Mongolia are required to submit an APS certificate.
  8. Complete Academic Report/Transcript of Records (certified copy).
  9. Official translation of the Complete Academic Report/Transcript of Records (certified copy).
  10. Curriculum vitae.
  11. Language certificate (simple copy).
  12. A writing sample produced by the applicant within the context of their first degree of 5 to 20 pages, written in English (e.g. an academic essay/term paper/research paper or a part of the final thesis). This writing sample must demonstrate the applicant’s expertise in the field of English Studies and/or American Studies. The writing sample has to be submitted only by applicants who do not hold a dual degree in English and/or American Studies.

Please note: Foreign certificates must be handed in as officially certified copies with an officially certified translation. If your documents do not fulfill the requirements or if important certificates are missing, your application will not be processed. Documents do not have to be translated if they are issued in German, English or French.


GoogleMap loading...

Further Information

For more information please check the

Course Website